Add Reply
New Poll

Familiar Faces, Strange Places, CLOSED for Connor
Suano
Race: Android
Job: Art Teacher
Series: Detroit Become Human
OOC: Signe - Eastern Standard Time - Offline

Markus still had no idea how he had ended up in this city. In some ways, it was like Detroit, with modern weapons or bright lights. In other ways, it felt positively medieval. Few people seemed to have ever heard of androids, and the ones that did were terrified of them. It left Markus wondering what other androids were here inspiring such fear and chaos. It also sparked a fire inside of him. He wanted to change so much, and if he had been successful in Detroit, why couldn’t he motivate people here too?

While making resistances for the treatment and force labor in the mines was relatively straightforward, he wasn’t seeing the same hope in proving androids were equal. He didn’t even know if any of his people were here- there certainly were no people walking around with LEDs. That meant if there was someone, they were hiding, just as he was… but that presented another problem. With no Cyberlife and none of his people here, that meant no replacement parts. If he was injured or hurt enough to power down permanently, there was no hope of reactivation…

He really should have stayed out of everything and been content just teaching art, but he couldn’t. Carl had been right when he joked that revolution was in his blood. Even with the threat of a human-like mortality, he had to try to change something. He might not have been able to focus on making his own identity public, but the protests around the Mines felt feasible, especially with the support he’d already managed to rally…

He pulled out his phone to start texting his contacts to meet tonight when he bumped right into someone walking their dog, nearly dropping his phone. ”Ah, I’m sorry, I… Connor?” he froze as he met the other android’s gaze but… it couldn’t be. He thought he was alone here.

fingerprint

star

bookmark_border

Invictus
Job: Detective
Series: Detroit: Become Human
OOC: Honey - CST - Offline

Connor and his new friend had fallen into a routine. He refused to miss a run with Hank, it was bad for an Irish Wolfhound to be cooped up too long, he needed to get out and run. Even if that meant Connor had to carry the large dog outside before Hank would get excited about his walk. They were on their way to the larger park, Connor often brought Hank out here just before sunset when one of the older, less manicured baseball diamonds was vacant. Hank could run and play without other dogs trying to start fights and without getting in the way of anyone else. It was nice and peaceful out here...

As much as Connor liked to pretend Hank was all he needed, he was lonely. The dog certainly helped, but there was only so much socialization one could get from a creature that couldn't exactly talk back...though in his spare time he was getting closer to deciphering what could be a dog language.

He was just thinking about whether or not he should invite Sherry to go do...anything, when he heard his name. He paused and glanced around before turning and nearly dropping the leash. "Markus?" His face lit up in a smile. "You're here too! Just when I was thinking I was the only one." Relief was heavy in his voice as he pat his thigh for Hank to follow. The dog dutifully followed at Connor's hip, sitting as he stopped and watching Markus curiously. "Were you on your way home? I need to get my friend here some exercise, you're welcome to join us." He wanted to know what Markus was doing in this world, job and all, where he was living, if he wanted to hang out. Connor managed to keep his joy and excitement contained though, he was very grateful for parts of his programming now.

They made their way into the park, Connor adjusted his backpack. It was surreal to not only see Connor without his LED, but his hair wasn't slicked back either. He actually looked human free. He was coming into his own now, away from a stigma he still felt he needed to follow...but he seemed to notice Markus taking note of the changes. "It's easier to blend in this way...even if it's unnerving." He tilted his head, "I've come to like my natural hair actually....I'm not sure why Cyberlife would have given my model this specific choice, but it's easy to style."

Connor still sucked at small talk.

Once they were actually in the ball park and Connor shut the chainlink gate he took Hank off his leash and waved him off. The large dog barked and leapt sideways before bolting. Connor beamed and took off his backpack, drawing a large tennis ball and a folding frisbee. When the dog would calm, he could play with him. "....I'm assuming you just found yourself here one day too?"

Honey Posts; Connor RK800
Suano

Markus couldn’t believe what he was seeing, even though Connor was clearly right in front of him. Sure, he looked a little different out of his Cyberlife jacket and with his hair fluffy instead of slicked back… but it was still definitely Connor. If anything, the recognition that slipped across Connor’s face was proof enough of that as well. Markus glanced at the dog before smiling at Connor, unable to keep himself from chuckling a bit. ”It’s really you… I can’t believe it,” Markus mused before glancing away as Connor mentioned a home. ”No, actually. Just going for a walk. Possibly meeting some friends later.”

He glanced back at the dog and simply nodded at Connor’s offer, gesturing for him to lead the way. As they walked, Markus was just trying to process this. He looked over at Connor again. Like Markus, he seemed far more human without the LED, but there was also something in how he carried himself. It seemed most deviants shared that in common- it was almost a… relaxing of self. A way of being that wasn’t so wound up or tense. He blinked when Connor noticed him staring, glancing away with a small laugh. ”You hardly have to explain blending in to me, Connor. You know I’ve had to do so for much longer than you have.” He paused and put his hands in the pockets of his jacket, ”But I’m glad you’ve found what works for you. So many of our people had a difficult time finding ways to blend in during and after everything…”

Something Markus often wondered if he could have better prepared them for.

As they reached the ball park, Markus watched Connor release his dog and pull out some toys for him. It really was incredible how they were both here, anything but human, and doing something so simple and domestic… ”I did. I’m assuming you quickly found your way to the local police force? Or perhaps the guard?” Markus asked before his gaze shifted back out to the park. Would Connor understand what he’d been through? Would he join the cause? These were questions he always seemed to find himself asking about the other, and while it felt like he should know the answer, he truly didn’t. ”I struggled, for a time. I was nearly sent to the Mines…”

Markus fell silent for a moment before he huffed out a small sigh. ”It doesn’t matter where we go, Connor. Someone is always going to be treated as ‘less than’. It's just that here it's not defined by race or species…”

fingerprint

star

bookmark_border

Invictus

"Hank helped me quite a bit..." Connor admitted. "As Carl did for you I'm sure." He smiled softly as Markus spoke. " I did, all I really had to do was walk in and show them the credentials I had from home...with some minor alterations...no one needs to know what I am." It wasn't that he was ashamed of being an android, more that he was afraid what the reaction would be...then again Cor hadn't seemed to treat him differently. He paused as Markus spoke of the mines. Hank barked and Connor tossed the ball for him to keep the dog busy.

"The mines..." He grimaced and nodded. "So you and your friends are going to try and change it?" His smile returned, genuine and almost excited. "If you need my help let me know, there are parts of this world I would love to change as well. Simon and the others aren't here as far as I know, you'll need an ally you can trust and I'm happy to oblige." Connor hoped that was a clear I missed you. "I've been keeping a relatively low profile, without sacrificing my abilities....though one of the captains of the guard caught on, he's kept my secret. I've also worked closely with a researcher...he's an android like us from a different world. He assisted me in making a substitute Thirium...I had already augmented my biocomponents to take multiple fluids though. Which, if you would let me, I may have to do for you as well." Hank brought the ball back and Connor offered him the cloth frisbee so they could play tug for a bit. The dog was all too happy to play with him.

"It's like you said...violence is in their blood, they hated each other for the colors of their skin and they continue to hate for even pettier reasons." Connor shook his head, "Hank and Carl are proof that not all humans are like that, but a collective can be." He tilted his head, "....You guessed my profession easily enough, am I to assume you are a professional revolutionary or can I take another guess?" Connor smirked with his joke, hoping to lighten the mood a bit. "I would guess you're an art teacher of some kind, perhaps music or mixed media?"

Suano

”Of course you did,” Markus mused with the hint of a laugh in his voice, ”A detective with your credentials would be highly sought after. I’m not surprised that they took you in.” Though he was somewhat surprised that Connor chose to hide. Back in Detroit, Connor had been proud to announce his status as an android prototype, to the point that he recalled it was some sort of joke between him and Lieutenant Anderson. To see Connor in hiding now, just like he was, said far more about this place than any other evidence Markus could point to.

Markus smiled as Connor seemed to pick up on exactly what he was thinking, even offering to help. It felt nice to know that he had an ally in this fight, especially one in law enforcement. ”Thank you. Though honestly, I’m more excited to have someone to share some sort of mutual species experience,” he admitted with the hint of a laugh in his voice. ”There are things you and I can discuss that I simply can’t trust with anyone else. I’m looking forward to that.”

When Connor mentioned modifying his biocomponents, however, Markus fell silent, staring at the other. ”How…. Did you do so? Who did you have help you?” It was dangerous modifying anything, especially thirium pumps. Theoretically they could be modified to move any liquid through their bodies, but pulling a pump out was certain death. ”Connor… don’t tell me you did that to yourself… do you know how dangerous that was? You could have died!”

The subject seemed to shift, however, and Markus sighed softly, looking away from him. He would have to press Connor for more information later, it seemed. For now, he simply sighed and smirked, glancing back at his friend. ”How about both? I’m impressed you guessed so quickly. What gave away the art teacher bit?”

fingerprint

star

bookmark_border

Invictus

Connor beamed and nodded with him, letting go of Hank so he could run off with the frisbee, victorious. He nodded, "There's only one other android I've met here, and they aren't from our world, at least not our incarnation of it. Some of the places he's described sound familiar, but abandoned and overgrown. I wonder if he's from a future where humans die out?" He shrugged. "I did the initial augments myself, but Nine helped me with the rest....I wish he would let me give him a name, it sounds heartless to just call him by a number." He smiled lightly at Markus, "Nine helped develop my substitute thirium into something almost indistinguishable. So we aren't going to completely shut down now that I have a steady supply of it. I had to think of something if my work took me to dangerous places."

He tilted his head, as he usually did when considering something, "There was a relatively high probability, but as I've said before, in any event there is always a chance for the unlikely to occur. You lose every battle you don't try to win." That was a Hankism, and Connor loved it. He beamed as Markus took the subject change. "There's a bit of pigment number 3F3D3F on your left cuff, and I detect a hint of sealant on your clothing as well. The same kind most around here use to seal their puzzles or charcoal drawings so they don't fade." Connor smirked at him before shaking his head.

" You were also a great teacher for the androids that wanted to learn in Jericho. That's why many of them loved you, you don't hold yourself above them and you enjoyed it, or appeared to anyway." Connor smiled, taking the frisbee from his dog when he came back. "I couldn't see you in any other profession to be honest. Perhaps a philosophy professor, but that seems boring at the same time." He retrieved a folding water dish for Hank and filled it with a pair of water bottles he'd brought for him. He pat the dog's back as he drank.

"Have you already found a place to stay? I have room if you need it, I got Hank his own room, but he prefers to stay in mine, so I have extra space....and no one to fill it." Connor ran a hand through his hair to pull his wavy part out of his eyes.

Suano

Markus couldn’t help but notice how attentive Connor was to his dog. It was almost telling that he named the large creature Hank. Markus supposed that Connor had been missing his father figure in this world, and he had to admit, he missed his own. He didn’t think he would have gone so far as to get a pet named Carl, though, but it seemed to fit Connor perfectly. As the Frisbee was taken away by Hank to some corner of the field, Connor answered his question and he relaxed a moment. He imagined that this other android, while not exactly like their people may have just been a more advanced version of them. What worried him, however, was Connor’s relaxed attitude about the entire situation.

”And if you had died? Then what?” Markus asked before sighing, ”You shouldn’t have taken such a reckless risk, but… yes, you survived, and I’d like to meet Nine as well. I’ve been a bit worried about thirium myself…” He paused before sighing and looking back at Connor. ”As heartless as it might seem, that’s exactly what we fought for, Connor. The right to make our own choices, be our own people… if that’s the name he prefers, then we should respect that,” Markus said with a small nod before the slightest of smirks touched his face, ”Even if some choose not to change at all. That’s why we have so many Jerrys back home, after all.”

He glanced down instinctively at his cuff, only to see that he indeed had a small spot of black on his cuff, nearly invisible to anyone without advanced analysis capability. ”It seems I need to cover my tracks better,” Markus teased dryly as he looked back at Connor. He looked away at the praise, however, smiling a bit and putting his hands in his jacket pockets. ”I owe my father for that. He taught me so much… we intended to have you and the Lieutenant visit soon. I’m sorry you didn’t get to meet him before we both found our way here.” Markus sighed, staring out across the park lost in a memory.

He slipped back to the present as Connor asked if he had a place to stay, smiling a bit as he shook his head. ”I’m sure you’ll find this horrifying, but no. My work keeps me very busy, and I never trusted the shelters in the city for safety reasons,” Markus mused before shrugging one shoulder. ”Lately I’ve taken to powering down in the closet with the art supplies.” He glanced over at Connor, pausing for a moment. He wasn’t opposed to his current situation, but living with one of his own- no, living with Connor sounded appealing. ”… If you do have space, would you be willing to show me these upgrades? I’m worried my system won’t be able to handle this world for very long without similar maintenance.”

fingerprint

star

bookmark_border

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

A f f i l i a t e s
Hexed Save Me The Duality of Man: an animanga fantasy role-play We Are Warriors ideal world surreality fugue state Eledria - JRPG-inspired Fantasy World of Remnant - An AU RWBY RP Room 12 Ataraxy Digimon: Kids in America Heroes Reborn Devil's Tattoo animanga harry potter
NickPicHost RPG-D Distant Fantasies

This skin was created by liv of candyland couture!, shadowplay and shine. special thanks to black for the css popout modals, kismet for the cbox toggle, and font awesome, material icons and linear icons for the font icons! Thank YSA for the staff icon arrangement and the affiliate box. Credit liv of candyland couture!, Andatsea for some of the art used on the skin. Also credit the various artists and writers that are a part of this site.